Report – Gloucester City 2 – 2 Wealdstone

Report – Gloucester City 2 – 2 Wealdstone
GloucesterGloucester City
Vanarama National League South

2 - 2

KO: 15:00 | Sat 12th Aug ’17

In a match that will not live long in the memories of both sets of supporters, Wealdstone did at least gain a point from a messy, untidy clash at the contrastingly pleasant surroundings of The Spiers & Hartwell Jubilee Stadium, Evesham.

In fact, eyes would have frequently been cast in the direction of the backdrop of the imposing Malvern Hills as the long, aerial, ball reigned for much of the game – a game that saw Stones twice fritter away the advantage. The away side took the lead twice through marksman Elliot Benyon with two moments of rare quality but were pegged back by an already struggling Gloucester side that are still making the adjustment from switching VNL divisions.

Stones started with the same line up as the unlikely St Albans defeat during the week and again found life tough with the single central striker, with clear opportunities for the counter attack again restricted. Admittedly conditions were not perfect with a strong wind blowing through the narrow pitch but control and ball to feet were at a premium from the off.

Abo Eisa did well on 10 minutes with a well driven free kick but the resulting corner came to nought. And it took another 9 minutes of scrappy play for the Tigers to show some teeth when Joe Parker skied over.

Stones pressed on and a good chance came and went on the half hour mark with the home keeper, Alex Harris, equal to the task.

Elliot Benyon then had a clear-cut chance to grab the lead with Harris stranded but he dallied on the ball and the chance was lost. But the Stones top striker soon had another opportunity to atone and this time he made no mistake. A long punt forward by the now injured and grimacing Josh Hill cleared the defence and with Harris in no man’s land Benyon pounced to lob in perfectly for a nice finish, minutes before the break.

David Hunt came in for centre half Hill who had turned an ankle, at the start of the second period.

The Tigers came out with far more determination and soon equalised. Poor defending allowed too much space for the on rushing Keiran Thomas and he lashed the ball past an exposed Jon North.

Stones eased their way back into contention with second sub Dan Fitchett making his presence felt. And it was from the former Sutton United strikers flick-on that created the move that led to Wealdstone regaining the lead. Shaquille Hippolyte-Patrick (SHP) made excellent ground and crossed superbly for Benyon to lash home his second on 70 minutes.

That should have been that – but sadly it wasn’t and Stones defensive frailty at set pieces was again exposed with 5 to go. The excellent Robbie Cundy rose unmarked to head home a corner to complete the scoring.

So another frustrating afternoon as the end of match 3 and Stones have work to do – but at least 4 points have been gained. Expectations, though, are somewhat greater than that and another challenge awaits on Monday evening at The Vale versus a strong Havant & Waterlooville side.

WEALDSTONE:  North, Oshodi, Okimo, Ijaha, Hill, Brown, SHP, Cox, Benyon, Green, Eisa. Subs used: Hunt, Fitchett. Not used: Godfrey, Wellard, Osei-Bonsu.

By Nick DuGard

Steve Foster ‘Goals’ pictures



More (200+) pictures from Phil Britt – 

{Phil is a Freelance snapper who covers non league games around  Gloucestershire, Worcestershire, Warwickshire – Twitter: Happee Snapper}