Ashford Town (Middlesex) 2 – 1 Wealdstone

AshfordAshford Town (Middlesex)
Middlesex Senior Charity Cup

2 - 1

KO: 19:30 | Mon 1st May ’17
Played at Hanwell Town FC

Wealdstone’s 2016/17 season ended in bitter disappointment as they were defeated 2-1 by Ashford Town in the Middlesex Senior Charity Cup Final on Monday evening.

A poor first half proved costly as the Stones conceded a penalty just ten seconds into the game, which Alex Fisher converted. Dan Fleming added a second on 31 minutes. And although the Stones mounted a strong second half response through Ricky Wellard’s goal and some brave last ditch defending from Town it wasn’t enough to force the tie into penalties.

Gordon Bartlett named a strong side with Wellard and Luke Sheldrick the only changes from Saturday’s 1-1 draw at East Thurrock United, with Joe White and Jonathan North the two omissions.

But it was Ashford who were the brightest and looked like the side who were two divisions higher in the first half, if not in finesse but certainly in commitment, energy and enthusiasm . Ciaron Brown upended Fleming just ten seconds into the half and a penalty was awarded. Fisher sent Sheldrick the wrong way and Ashford had gone 1-0 up before the Stones had even touched the ball.

Town should have doubled their lead just four minutes in when Fleming latched onto a long ball, and having beaten Tom Hamblin for pace and just Sheldrick to beat, he smashed the ball over the bar. It was 2-0 shortly after the half hour mark when a through ball was fed to the man of the match Fleming, and he slotted past Sheldrick who did manage to get a hand to it.

The Stones almost pulled a goal back on the stroke of half time when Danny Green struck a 25-yard free kick off the crossbar, but as the second half was to prove, Wealdstone’s luck was out.

Just nine minutes into the second half the Stones had a lifeline. Eddie Oshodi played a low cross to the unmarked Wellard at the far post and he scored the easiest of goals against his first club.

Dan Fitchett thought he had equalised on 72 minutes only to have his header controversially ruled out for a foul. Five minutes later Wellard slotted a strike past Tyler Tobin only to see Russel Canderton heroically prevent the ball crossing the line by somehow clearing over the crossbar.

Tobin then denied Sam Cox a first Wealdstone goal in injury time. Oshodi played another low cross, Cox slotted toward the corner but Tobin produced a fast reaction save to tip the ball wide ensuring the  cup was presented to Ashford.

WEALDSTONE: Sheldrick, Oshodi, Sellers, Brown (Benyon 86), Hamblin, Green, Wright (White 64), Cox, Fitchett, Wellard, Whichelow Subs not used: Parker, Hunt, Godfrey

By Chris Woods


 Ashford Town  (Middlesex) 2-1 Wealdstone Middlesex Senior Charity Cup Final

You do NOT have permission to use this image unless it is accredited to Aqueous Sun Photography.Twitter: @aqueoussunphoto