Eastbourne Borough 5 – 1 Wealdstone

Eastbourne Borough 5 – 1 Wealdstone
EastbourneEastbourne Borough
Vanarama National League South

5 - 1

KO: 15:00 | Sat 1st Apr ’17

Wealdstone’s 13-match unbeaten run came to a shuddering end at the South Coast on Saturday as Eastbourne Borough trounced the Stones 5-1 and the Manager of the Month Award curse struck on cue.

A brace apiece from Christian Oxlade-Chamberlain and Jamie Taylor gave the hosts four goals with Kiran Khinda-John rounding off the scoring on the hour mark. Dan Fitchett scored his first Wealdstone goal just before half time.

Gordon Bartlett made one change to his starting line-up with Tom Hamblin coming in for Wes Parker who missed out the clash on his least favoured surface, the 3G pitch.

The Sports opened the scoring in the sixth minute, Jonathan North parried Nathaniel Pinney’s shot straight into the path of Oxlade-Chamberlain who had the easiest of conversions.

Ryan Worrall struck the crossbar in the 18th minute and it wouldn’t be the last time that this crossbar would see action.

Eastbourne’s lead was doubled on 27 minutes, Sam Cox lost the ball in the middle and Oxlade-Chamberlain capitalised, strolling into the area and slotting past North.

It was 3-0 three minutes later and this goal was the pick of the bunch. The experienced Taylor spotted North off his line from 30-yards out and then preceded to hit an audacious lob over the keeper from range.

Dan Fitchett gave the Stones a lifeline just before half time. Eddie Oshodi worked hard to create some crossing space down the right and lofted a ball in to the unmarked Fitchett who nodded home the easiest of finishes.

Wealdstone responded well from the half time break. Joe White had an effort cleared off the line just seconds into the half and Aryan Tajbakhsh struck a 25-yard free kick off the crossbar.

But the home side delivered a sucker-punch on the 56th minute. A long free-kick was played into the box and substitute Ian Simpemba headed across goal to Taylor who slotted in from close range.

The fourth goal undone all the Stones hard work and the fifth followed just four minutes later. Gavin McCallum crossed into the unmarked Khinda-John and he headed past North to seal the game.

Oshodi had an effort cleared off the line just moments later by Worrall and Danny Green also had a free-kick tipped onto the crossbar by Jordan Holmes.

Eastbourne had the best chance to extend the score line. Pinney was played in by Taylor’s low cross across the face of goal giving the striker the easiest of tasks to put the ball away but he struck the crossbar from just two yards out.

The defeat all but ended Wealdstone’s play-off hopes as they sit 12 points behind the places with five games left.

WEALDSTONE: North, Oshodi, Sellers, Hamblin (Wright 66), Brown, Tajbakhsh (Whichelow 66), Green, Cox, White (Benyon 80), Wellard, Fitchett

By Chris Woods

Steve Foster pictures HERE

WFC Instagram HERE