Wealdstone 2 – 4 Hampton & Richmond Borough

Wealdstone 2 – 4 Hampton & Richmond Borough
Vanarama National League South

2 - 4

HamptonHampton & Richmond Borough
KO: 15:00 | Sat 27th Aug ’16
Match Sponsor(s): In memory of John Jones
Ball Sponsor(s): Michael Vincent

Wealdstone’s unbeaten run came to a crashing halt on Saturday when, under constant pressure for most of this frenetic clash, they lost to Hampton & Richmond Borough.

To compound a difficult afternoon at The Vale, Stones now face a growing injury crisis with Ricky Wellard and Tom Cadmore both now side lined with suspected fractures of the foot.

The Beavers looked bright and full of running from the off and immediately caused problems for Stones backline. Ironically, after some Stones pressure it was the visitors that took the lead as early at the 8th minute.

The lively midfielder Brendan Kiernan wasn’t closed down and he burst through to rifle a superb strike past Jonathan North who had no chance to save.

Danny Green managed to carve out a shot on target but his effort was comfortably held by keeper Aaron Howe.

The visitors continued to force the pace and they went two-nil up on 22 minutes. After Stones failed to clear their lines, Centre Half Jay Gasson found space to side foot past North with a smart, reactive finish.

Wealdstone’s midfield was constantly closed down and offered little outlet for their forwards, although Elliot Benyon toiled manfully as usual, chasing lost causes.

But Stones kept plugging away and from a handling error by Howe, Benyon stole in but his effort from a goal mouth scramble was blocked. Eddie Oshodi was on hand to poke the loose ball over the line to give the home side a much needed lift.

The home side then enjoyed their best spell of the contest and moved the ball around far quicker and too greater effect. But with no equaliser arriving it was the Beavers that roared back into the game with a killer third goal.

Man of the Match Jamal Lowe was played in by Kiernan and the striker slammed the ball home.

 HT 1-3 

Stones continued to chase the game but with no alternative but to push up they looked to create some goal opportunities. Elliot Benyon blasted over and then Omar Koroma’s free kick smashed off the cross bar on 54 minutes.

North kept Wealdstone in the game with some brilliant trade mark saves, not least with a fantastic penalty save from Jelley with 15 minutes left on the clock.

Stones then finally pulled a goal back with a spectacular free kick effort from Matty Whichelow. The former Watford midfielder arrowed in his dead ball kick from 25 yards catching Howe off his line for 2-3

But Hampton had the final say when, with Stones pushing up, they broke through and Nicke Kabamba had the simplest of chances to stroke past an exposed North

Wealdstone: North, Oshodi, Urquhart, Cadmore (Smith,19), Hamblin, Wellard, Whichelow, Green, Benyon, Koroma (Kabba 60), Williams (Hutchinson 45) Subs not used: McGleish, Godfrey.

Alan Palmer pictures HERE
WFC Instagram pictures HERE