Wealdstone 2 – 1 Margate

Wealdstone 2 – 1 Margate
Vanarama National League South

2 - 1

KO: 15:00 | Sat 13th Aug ’16
Ball Sponsor(s): Pete Worby

Wealdstone got their first all-important win but endured an unnecessarily tense finish to this highly entertaining clash at The Vale on Saturday.

Stones had dominated for virtually the whole match and had maintained a comfortable two goal advantage until the 90th minute when Margate pulled an unlikely goal back, but Stones dug in and held on to record a richly deserved first win of the campaign.

After some early pressure from The Gate, Stones quickly assumed control of the play with man of the match Danny Green dominating the midfield against his old club with some clever, skilful passing. With David Hunt injured, the other central midfield berth was taken by Matt Whichelow and the combination worked effectively well.

Stones opened the scoring after only 8 minutes when the dangerous Elliot  Benyon got on the end of an excellent flowing move with Green fully involved.

A subdued looking Margate side toiled in the humid conditions with long balls from the back failing to find their front men.

On the half hour mark, Stones new signing Omar Koroma doubled his side’s lead. Koroma picked up the ball outside the area and drove a powerful angled strike past Lewis Ward to give the tall keeper no chance.

Stones wobbled early in the second period before they again looked comfortable with some accurate and snappy passing moves. But earlier Jonathan North came to Stones rescue as he brilliantly pushed away a goal bound effort from Elliot Buchanan.

Gate continued to waste some decent possession as the game wore on. On 66 minutes Stones should have wrapped the game up when the ever busy Green rifled a strike from 20 yards but Ward was equal to the effort.

With 6 minutes remaining Wealdstone again had a great opportunity to take an unassailable lead but Koroma somehow couldn’t get a clean strike with the goal gaping after another defence splitting move down the slope.

Margate pressed on and to their credit and pulled a goal back at the death through sub Marcel Barrington and with 4 minutes of added time matters became very tense for the home side but they held on for the win.

Stones travel to Oxford City on Tuesday evening hoping to maintain their good start to the new campaign.

Wealdstone: North, Oshodi, Urquhart, Cadmore, Hamblin, Wellard, Whichelow, Green, Benyon, Koroma (Hutchinson 86), Williams (Godfrey 74). Subs not used: Kabba, McGleish, Smith 

Alan Palmer pictures HERE

WFC Instagram  pictures HERE

Chris Hayes pictures HERE