Wealdstone 1 – 2 Farnborough

Wealdstone 1 – 2 Farnborough
Vanarama Conference South

1 - 2

KO: 15:00 | Sat 23rd Aug ’14
Match Sponsor(s): “In Memory of John Jones” by Graham Jones
Ball Sponsor(s): Mike and Val Weston

Two great opportunistic strikes from Farnborough’s Matt Ball killed off Wealdstone’s hopes for their first win in the Vanarama Conference South but conversely brought the away side their first points of the season following three successive defeats. Despite a reasonable start Stones struggled throughout to make any real impact and looked disjointed and unbalanced in their attacking approach, not helped by some uncharacteristically slack defending, particularly in a torrid second period.

Stones were initially slow out of the blocks and Tom Hamblin, later substituted through a knock,had to block a couple of early efforts. But Wealdstone did gradually produce some decent attacking moves mainly through the energy of Johnny Wright down the right flank. Against the general run of play Farnborough took the lead in spectacular style. From a short corner an undefended ball found midfielder Matt Ball who hit home past Jonathan North from 25 yards in the 19th minute. The goal seemed to rock Stones and they continually stuttered to find any attacking fluidity.

Stones best chance in the first period came from defender Jack Mills whose first time volley almost caught Charlie Grainger off guard but the away stopper pulled off an excellent diving save to palm the ball away to safety. Just when Stones started to find some useful possession and with Michael Malcolm’s strike just wide, Farnborough effectively killed the game with a second wonder striker from Ball – this time a perfect volley after Jack Mills had looped a headed clearance invitingly for the Boro man to smash past North.

The second period brought little reward for Stones who resorted to long balls to find a way past a solid away defence who now sensed a first win was well within their grasp. With all substitutes used including on loan Watford midfielder Luke O’Nien who looked lively, Stones continued to struggle. In the now driving rain their efforts did bring a consolation in the 90th minute when a loose ball in the box was finally swept home by Scott McGleish. But is was a case of too little too late on a hugely frustrating afternoon for the home side.

After the match Wealdstone Manager Gordon Bartlett said: ‘ We were very lack lustre today and it was a very disappointing performance all round. This must rank as one of our worst performances of the last few seasons; we have made it very clear to the players what is required and we will go again on Monday’

Wealdstone: North, Mills, Little, Hamblin, Cronin, Godfrey, Wright, Martin, McGleish, Hickey, Malcolm Subs used:Parker, O’Nien, Pigden N/u: Collins,Turner

Steve Foster pics HERE