Wealdstone 4 – 1 Haringey Borough

Wealdstone 4 – 1 Haringey Borough
The FA Cup with Budweiser

4 - 1

HaringeyHaringey Borough
KO: 15:00 | Sat 28th Sep ’13
Match Sponsor(s): (1) Gary May of DCS Valeting (2) Dominic Whyley and guests
Ball Sponsor(s): Russpa
Match Mascot: Lui & George Grimwood

Wealdstone enter the draw for the FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round on Monday after eventually overcoming a stubborn and energetic Haringey Borough side after a second half blitzing, but they were made to work hard – particularly so in a difficult and untidy first period.

The Essex Senior League side displayed more urgency than Stones in an uninspiring first half of this 2nd qualifying round tie with the experienced Darrell Cox causing some concern for the home defence.

Stones gradually eased their way into the match and Scott McGleish went close, shooting just wide of the upright. But it was against the run of play that Borough should have taken the lead in a sweeping move when former Harrow Borough midfielder Dean Fenton struck the post on 27 minutes with the entire goal to aim at from a Cox through ball.

Stones were under too much self imposed pressure during a distinctly dodgy period of play but turned the game around 10 minutes later; skipper Wes Parker had seen enough and charged down the flank, crossed expertly  for McGleish who was well placed to fizz the ball past Borough keeper Erbil Bozkurt to break the deadlock.

The goal lifted Stones out of their torpor and from a great mazy run Tom Pett smashed the ball off the cross bar from 25 yards out, before Parker had a serious penalty shout waved away after he appeared to be clattered in the area.

The second half was only 30 seconds old when McGleish grabbed a quick fire second goal from a superb interchange between Chris Moore and the electric Pett and Stones finally took control.

The away side still remained an intermittent threat on the counter and Cox struck wide when well placed a few minutes later and then the lively Anthony McDonald almost got through with only Jonathan North to beat.

Stones – perhaps with memories of the previous Monday in their minds –  moved up a few more gears and now looked like a side two divisions higher with Jey Siva running riot down the left. The goal of the tie came on 81 minutes and was well worth the wait. Substitute Jack Hutchinson turned the Borough defence inside out with some exquisite footwork across the box, eventually allowing Pett to strike a wonderful effort past the stranded Bozkurt.

Right on time Wealdstone’s Sean Cronin was adjudged to have fouled in the area and Cedric Lakole converted the penalty for a consolation but
the differential was almost immediately restored when sub Peter Dean’s spectacular overhead kick made it 4-1 deep into stoppage time.

Next up for Wealdstone is another match at The Vale on Saturday 5th October when they face Margate in a Ryman Premier clash. Kick –off 3pm

Wealdstone: North, McCubbin, Siva, Parker, Cronin, Godfrey, Brooks, Bailey, McGleish, Moore, Pett. Subs used: Hutchinson, Wright, Dean.N/u: Hammond, Little, Haxhia (GK)

William Hill Man of the Match: Jey Siva

Match day pics by Steve Foster HERE

By Nick DuGard