Wealdstone 3 – 1 Carshalton Athletic

Wealdstone 3 – 1 Carshalton Athletic
Ryman League Premier Division

3 - 1

CarshaltonCarshalton Athletic
KO: 15:00 | Sat 9th Nov ’13
Match Sponsor(s): (1) David Leigh (2) In Memory of Paul & Danny Helen
Ball Sponsor(s): (1) Gordon Mckay (2) Derek Goss
Match Mascot: Nicholas & Henry Hall

Wealdstone shook off the disappointment of their recent cup exits with a hard fought win over a battling Carshalton side at The Vale on Saturday. A strong second half performance from the home side eventually ensured that Stones took all the points after an even first period when the Robins threatened to upset the form book. And with some of the top sides in the league dropping points Wealdstone were able to take advantage and move up one place in the table to 5th spot.

Stones dominated possession for long periods with their trademark measured build up play in the first period, but for all their classy passing football they again struggled to convert their chances. Elliott Godfrey flashed an early strike over the bar after showing good control but the more direct style of the Robins almost brought them reward when Lewis Taylor lofted a decent strike just  over the bar. After 12 minutes play Stones almost made the breakthrough when Robins keeper Dean Snedker, who had a fine match, brought off a point blank save from the busy Luke Pigden.

The Robins continued to break with pace through the lively Alex Addai and presented a real threat to keep the Stones defence, that included the returned Sean Cronin, on their toes. After Snedker made another good stop from Johnny Wright, Stones took the lead in somewhat fortunate circumstances. Tom Pett’s strike was saved but the ball rebounded off Quincy Rowe for an own goal on 32 minutes, although Tom Pett will be happy to claim it. Undeterred, Carshalton hit back immediately and snatched a goal back from a fine strike from Adriano Moraes seconds after Jonathan North had pulled off a wonderful save. Stones wobbled as the Robins attacked with gusto but they couldn’t add to their tally.

After taking time to settle in the second period Stones started to open up an under pressure Robins defence with the persistent Wright causing most of the problems. He was instrumental in Stones second goal; Wright fed Pett and he brilliantly cut the ball back to Elliot Godfrey in acres of space to rifle past the exposed Snedker with great composure.  Pett then lashed wide from a well timed Wright through ball. On 73 minutes the home side sealed victory. From a corner Sean Cronin headed powerfully into the box and the ball was finally powered into the net by a relieved Scott McGleish after a desperate ‘head tennis’ goal line scramble.

The Robins pushed forward with a brief late flurry but Stones ran out comfortable winners knowing that they need to push on, using this win as a new platform.

Wealdstone: North, Hammond, Siva, Hamblin, Cronin ©, Godfrey, Little, Pigden, McGleish, Wright, Pett, Subs used: Bailey, Moore, Dean. N/u: Okimo, Bentley.

William Hill MoM: Tom Pett

Steve Foster Pics HERE

By Nick DuGard