Cray Wanderers 0 – 3 Wealdstone

Cray Wanderers 0 – 3 Wealdstone
CrayCray Wanderers
Ryman League Premier Division

0 - 3

KO: 15:00 | Sat 16th Nov ’13

Stones travelled to Hayes Lane in their first RPL away fixture in  weeks looking to do the double over Cray Wanderers. Having steamrollered the Wands earlier in the season anyone thinking that this would be a walk in the park were mistaken. Our hosts were a different proposition on their own ‘turf’ providing a much more resilient, energetic, competitive nay thuggish approach at times to the game. Stones lined up with North in goal with two banks of four, Wright in the ‘hole’ and McLeish as the sole forward.

Regrettably the first half was very much huff and puff from both sides with Stones shading possession, lots of neat passing but with little real end product. There was a 2 minute period just before the break where the Wands No 4 (Day) was rightly booked for a crude foul on Tom Pett when in possession baring down the middle of the pitch towards the home goal, then Jay Siva went into the book for what looked an awkward lunge for the ball as the Wands broke-out from defence. Just before the break, one glimmer of  good football resulted in McGleish powering in a volley just wide of the home goal.  

The  100 or so travelling  Stones fans hoped for a better second half , with the introduction of Bailey & Okimo for Pigden & Siva there was little discernable change, however as the game wore on Stones were starting to pin the home team back and create chances, first from Godfrey and then a free-kick from Bailey. The home side whilst still competing well offered little up front and North was a spectator for long periods. The first goal arrived on 66 minutes when a corner was won the right, Godfrey played the ball-in which was flicked on by Wright where the alert McGleish pounced and put a bullet header past the home keeper just from just outside the six yard box. The goal somewhat deflated the home side and Stones continued to have the better of the play and chances.  

The second goal came from a penalty on 78 minutes; a Tom Pett shot was blocked by the arm of the Wands No4 just inside the box. The match official was more interested in issuing a yellow card to the Wands No3 (Clark) who appeared to complain quite loudly at the decision as opposed to issuing a second yellow to the No 4. When calm had been restored Captain Cronin stepped up and placed the penalty to the keepers left (he having dived right!) much to the delight of the Stones faithful behind the goal.  

The game was up, the home side continued to battle, Stones playing a little more relaxed football running down the clock. With the game almost at an end, goal number three arrived on 88 minutes, substitute Peter Dean played the ball in from the right to the feet of the effervescent McGleish who a single movement pinged the ball up with his left foot to place an un-stoppable shot into the net with his right foot which the home custodian could only flap at.  

Overall not pretty, but if you want to get out of this league you occasionally have to grind out a result like this which sees Stones move up to 4th place in the League 

Next up  Leiston are the visitors to The Vale next Saturday the 23rd Nov kick-off 3.00pm

Stones: North, Hammond, Siva, Hamblin, Cronin Godfrey, Pett, Bentley, Wright, McGleish, Pigden. Subs (used) Bailey, Okimo & Dean. Little & Moore

 By ‘FGW’

Steve Foster pics HERE