Wealdstone Under 18s 0 – 2 Enfield 1893 Under 18s

Wealdstone’s under 18s bowed out of the FA Youth Cup on Monday night as they were undone by two long range efforts on a soaking wet evening at Grosvenor Vale.

With a heavy rain making for a difficult playing surface, it was the visitors who adapted to the slippery conditions early on, with pacey forward Hallelujah Basmel racing onto a through ball from Suleyman Zuhdu before unleashing an effort which was well saved by the feet of Wealdstone ‘keeper David Myers.

At the other end Wealdstone’s Reece Grant stung the palms of Enfield ‘keeper Adam Gilland with a 30 yard free kick, before Andrew Amoah sent a dipping 20 yard effort just over the bar.

Enfield forward Basmel was certainly proving a handful in the opening half hour, and the front man showed great skill on 20 minutes to make space for himself down the right hand side before firing a powerful effort just wide of the far post.

Enfield’s Andrew Brown was next to try his luck, drilling a shot just wide from 25 yards on the half hour mark.

The visitors then took the lead on 32 minutes, when they were awarded a free kick 30 yards from goal on the left hand side. Ryan Williams stepped up to curl the ball into the box, with the midfielder’s effort missing everyone and finding its way into the far corner past the despairing dive of Myers.

Stones had a chance to level the match five minutes before the break when a long ball forward saw Ayomide Noble attempt to lob the ‘keeper with a first time effort from outside the box, but his shot dipped agonisingly wide of the post.

The home side began the second half on the front foot, and Reece Grant hit a 20 yard effort which Gilland did well to turn over the bar.

Despite the bright start from Stones, Enfield were able to double their advantage on 52 minutes. Alvinar Balendra showed great tenacity to hold up the ball inside the box before laying it back to substitute Joseph Wright who hit a first time effort from 20 yards which swerved awkwardly before dipping over Myers and into the net.

Stones tried in vain to find a way back into the game, but they were struggling to create anything clear cut against a strong Enfield backline.

Noble came close to pulling one back with 15 minutes left to play, turning just outside the box before unleashing a low effort which Gilland had to turn around the post.

Substitute Dean Henry then had a good chance to set up a grandstand finish with five minutes left to play when he latched onto Rastriot Jashari’s knock down, but it wasn’t to be as his effort from close range was turned behind by an Enfield defender


Wealdstone: David Myers, Andrew Amaah, Diran Dare (Dean Henry 68), Tommy Walsh, David Grzybek, Natalmond Lewis-Robinson (James Farrell 48), Koran Goldson, Karim Aissaooi, Reece Grant, Ayomide Noble (Rastriot Jashari 76), Aron Ruszel. Subs not used: Ashley Nathaniel-George, Zane Campbell-Rose


Report by Stuart Warren