Wealdstone 2-1 Harefield United

Middlesex Senior Charity Cup

2 - 1

HarefieldHarefield United
KO: 19:45 | Mon 31st Jan ’11

Wealdstone advanced to the semi final of the Middlesex Charity Cup on Monday night as they overcame Harefield United 2-1.

In freezing conditions at The Vale it was the visitors who started the brightest with Sam Jollife shooting wide early on, and then Kerrick Marriot miskicking when well positioned after some sloppy defensive play from Wealdstone that had a changed line-up on the evening. Stones did take the lead with their first real chance of the match on 17 minutes, when Callum Martin ghosted in unmarked to head home a pinpoint Lee Chappell cross. The home side then nearly doubled their lead a couple of minutes later when Jerome Federico used his pace to get beyond the fullback, and drove a ball across the box which would only be cleared behind. From the resultant corner Sean Cronin saw his close range effort bundled off the line.

Harefield managed to pull the game level, somewhat against the run of play on 27 minutes when an uncharacteristic slip from Alan Massey gifted Marriot possession and allowed him to find Dan Campbell in the box who slotted past Leggett. This game was a great opportunity for Callum Martin to regain his match fitness, and the striker almost doubled his tally five minutes before the break, however he missed his kick from close range when a Lee Chappell long throw found its way to the back post. With half time approaching Wealdstone got the second goal they had been searching for when Jerome Federico’s low corner to the edge of the box was met by Max Worsfold whose low effort deceived Harefield ‘keeper Andrew Hagger and snuck in to ensure Stones took a 2-1 lead into the break.

Stones started the second half the brighter of the two sides, with Lee Chappell going close with a header early on. Worsfold was next to go close, showing great control on the edge of the box, before seeing his low drive beaten away by Hagger. Hagger was called into action again soon after, saving well from Alan Massey’s shot after the big defender had ventured forward for a corner. With Stones pushing forward looking for a third, they were almost caught out on the break 65 minutes when Dan Campbell surged into the box, only to drag his shot wide of the far post. Triallist Jon Benjamin then had another chance for Stones, firing just wide after some good work from Kurtney Brooks. Harefield then had what looked like a clear penalty turned down on 78 minutes when Jollife burst into the box, and it looked like he was tripped by Massey, however the referee waved play on much to the amazement of the Harefield number 10.

The visitors nearly got an equaliser two minutes from the end then a long free kick forward was headed onto the underside of the crossbar by Jollife, however unfortunately for him it came down just the wrong side of the line. Stones were able to see out the remaining couple of minutes fairly comfortably, and could have even added a third in injury time, as Benjamin and Dean both went close.

Wealdstone: Leggett, Aahmed, Chappell, Massey, Cronin, Brooks, Worsfold, Gill, Martin, Benjamin, Federico. Subs used: Dean, Spendlove. Not used: Jolly, Dyer.