Wealdstone 0 – 2 Beaconsfield SYCOB

Wealdstone 0 – 2 Beaconsfield SYCOB
The FA Cup with Budweiser

0 - 2

BeaconsfieldBeaconsfield SYCOB
KO: 15:00 | Sat 17th Sep ’11
Match Sponsor(s): Attic and the Groundworks Crew
Ball Sponsor(s): Mike Weston

Wealdstone meekly exited the FA Cup on Saturday in humiliating fashion against an in form Beaconsfield SYCOB side. Stones were second best for most of the afternoon, with the visiting side running out deserved winners, completely embarrassing their hosts.

The FA Cup remains the greatest knock-out competition in the world but the significance of the potential glory, player ‘shop window’ publicity and, not least, hugely valuable prize money appears to have completely escaped the mentality of this current group of Wealdstone players on the evidence of this totally inept, and lethargic display against a spirited Step 4 outfit.

Wealdstone Manager, Gordon Bartlett, was at a loss to explain this shocking defeat after the recent improved displays, and said after the match: ‘We got what we deserved. Beaconsfield’s work ethic was excellent but our own lack of desire and conviction has cost us a run in the FA Cup and we cannot understand why – they showed more hunger and it was all too easy for
them. I am massively disappointed for our fans. The players have let themselves down and everyone else’

And in what appears to be a disturbing disconnect in performance expectations, some Stones fans had travelled hundreds of miles to be present at The Vale to witness their side turned over by side with virtually no support but playing with honesty and heart. The warning signs had been flagged up in the lead up to this tie with The Rams on a seven match winning run, featuring three free scoring and pacy forwards.

The first half was a nervy affair of few chances, with the best of these for Wealdstone being a glancing header from Wes Parker which was tipped over the bar by Michael Power-Simpson in the Beaconsfield goal after a long throw from Lee Chappell.

Kieran Knight, who was on earlier in the half as a replacement for the injured Peter Dean, had a decent effort on the 40 minute mark; however his shot from the edge of the box lacked any real conviction after being put through by Chappell.

The Rams then came close to snatching the lead on the stroke of half time when Victor Osobu hit an effort from 25 yards which flew just over the crossbar.

The second half got off to the worst possible start when on 46 minutes Adam Bernard slotted home from close range after Osobu’s miskick landed at the feet of the winger.

Wealdstone almost got an instant response when Knight headed wide from close range following a free kick from David Hicks.

In a critical passage of play, Wealdstone looked to respond with Alan Massey heading onto the post from a corner, and then Richard Jolly seeing his effort from an acute angle well saved.

The visitors were then able to double their lead on 71 minutes when Osobu ran clear of the Wealdstone defence before slotting home.

Stones tried in vain to claw an unlikely passage back into the game, with Lee Chappell twice blazing over when he should have done better. But it was too little, too late.

Five minutes of added time proved fruitless, and the defeat saw Stones limply exit the FA Cup at the earliest possible stage.

Wealdstone: North, Hammond, Chappell, Parker, Massey, Dyer, McCubbin, Brooks, Dean, Jolly, Hicks. Subs used: Spendlove, Parsons, Knight. N/u: Cronin, O’Leary, Beagle (GK)