Aveley 0 – 3 Wealdstone

Aveley 0 – 3 Wealdstone
Ryman League Premier Division

0 - 3

KO: 15:00 | Sat 29th Oct ’11

Wealdstone produced a confident and professional performance in deepest Essex on Saturday as they ran out comfortable 3-0 winners over Aveley. Two goals from top scorer Richard Jolly, along with a well taken strike from David Hicks did the damage as Stones strolled to their second league away win in what will prove a vital confidence boost ahead of next weekend’s  important clash with Margate in the FA Trophy.

There was a welcome return to the starting line up for Peter Dean for this tie, with the striker returning from suspension to replace Scott Fitzgerald who was unavailable due to work commitments. There was also a recall for Lee Chappell who came into the side in place of Nikki Ahamed who was on the bench.

After a fairly even opening, Wealdstone took the lead on 11 minutes when David Hicks played a raking cross field pass to Chappell on the left flank. The midfielder did well to beat the offside trap advancing on goal and drawing the goalkeeper out before unselfishly squaring the ball to Jolly who had the simple task of tapping in from close range.

Another through ball caught the Aveley defence out again minutes later, with Alex Dyer playing it straight down the middle of the pitch giving Jolly a clear run on goal, however the striker saw his effort blocked by Aveley ‘keeper Dave McCartney when most in the ground would have expected the striker to score.

Aveley were struggling to create any chances during the first half, however they were nearly gifted an equaliser eight minutes before half time when James Hammond lost possession allowing experienced midfielder Micah Hyde to thread the ball through to Gary Wharton. The forward took the ball forward before unleashing a powerful effort from inside the box which
Jonathan North did well to get down and palm away.

The second half began with Aveley looking to push forward, and Sean Bonnet-Johnson came close with a 20 yard free kick 10 minutes after the restart, seeing his effort fly just wide of the post.

The winger tried his luck from distance again just a minute later; cutting inside and hitting a powerful dipping shot which North did brilliantly well to tip over the bar.

After the home sides early second half pressure, Wealdstone fan’s nerves were settled on 65 minutes when a neat passing move saw them grab a second. Dyer picked up the ball in midfield before finding Dean who in turn threaded the ball through to David Hicks. It looked like the midfielder had taken the ball too wide as he bore down on goal; however he was able to tuck the ball underneath McCartney from an acute angle for his second goal of the season.

Hicks was involved again 8 minutes later when Stones grabbed their third. The tireless midfielder charged down a clearance from Tony Russell, deflecting the ball into the path of Richard Jolly who made no mistake slotting home from close range
for his second of the afternoon.

Jolly had a chance to grab his hatrick in the final minute, getting on the end of a cross from substitute Nikki Ahamed, however Spencer Harrison did well to get across and block his goal bound effort.

All in all it was a comfortable afternoon for Stones, who can now look forward to a trip to Margate next weekend in the FA Trophy. Wealdstone FC Supporters Club are running a coach to the game departing Grosvenor Vale at 11am, arriving 13.30. Return at 18.00 to arrive back 20.30. Cost £15 for adults, £10 for under 16s and OAPs. The clubhouse will open from 10am for light refreshments before setting off.

To book a place on the coach please contact Clive Leaper clive.leaper@hotmail.com or phone 07532482961

Wealdstone: North, Hammond, Massey, Parker (O’Leary 79), Cronin, Dyer, (Ahamed 76), McCubbin (Brooks 69), Hicks, Dean, Jolly. Subs not used: Parsons, Spendlove 

By Stuart Warren