Wealdstone 1-2 Slough Town


1 - 2

SloughSlough Town
KO: 15:00 | Sat 7th Aug ’10

How much Stones Manager Gordon Bartlett learnt from this hard fought friendly match is uncertain but with the news that a further two players have been signed the eventual starting eleven for the big kick off in two weeks time may be becoming a little clearer.
26 year old former Grimsby Town and Gainsborough Trinity defender Wes Parker has signed on the dotted line together with fellow back player Sean Cronin who wasn’t available for this clash with Zamaretto League Rebels.

There was also news after the match that two triallists have not been retained – Rene Steer and Lee Togwell. But joining the Wealdstone line up on Saturday was Watford’s third choice goalkeeper last season, Jonathan North, who came on during the second half and is a further indication of the quality of players that are available this summer.

As for the match itself, Stones appeared a little flat for long periods and this allowed their more lively visitors to control matters and they almost took the lead early on but were prevented by a good save from Shane McWeeney.

Ryan Ashe hit back for the home side with a vicious free kick that was only just tipped over by a vocal Ricky Perks. But Stones good work during this period was undone when their right flank was exposed and a good cross was headed in by Steve Sinclair on 33 minutes.

Stones, using their new one up-front system, needed to supply more from the flanks to use Scott Fitzgerald’s aerial ability but too much was chocked up in the midfield where possession was lost and Adam Logie in particular appeared to struggle at times.

Nevertheless there were some good performances on view, notably Wes Parker at centre-half and Kurtney Brooks looked neat and tidy; ironically Lee Togwell had a decent game at right back, tackling well and got forward on several occasions.

A sharp looking Rebels outfit doubled their lead from Sean Sonner with a looping cross shot that completely deceived McWeeney only 3 minutes after the restart and this signalled a string of changes off the home bench; on came Mark E’Beyer, Chris O’Leary and Alan Massey, soon to be followed by three more substitutions: Danny Burnell, Louis Lavers, and Peter Dean. This livened matters up considerably and Stones enjoyed their best spell during the last third of the match.

Following some close calls from Greg Ngoyi and Peter Dean, who missed a sitter, Stones much improved possession finally delivered a goal when Wes Parker headed home 8 minutes from time but they were unable to draw level. Slough were presented with the Brian Collins Memorial Trophy after the match.

Stones play at North Greenford United on Monday evening (9th August)

Wealdstone: McWeeney, Togwell, Chappell, Parker, Locke, Ashe, Brooks, Logie, Ngoyi, Fitzgerald, Spendlove. Subs used: O’Leary, Massey,
Lavers, Burnell, E’Beyer, Dean, North (GK)