Kingstonian 3 – 5 Wealdstone

FA Trophy2QR

3 - 5

KO: 15:00 | Sun 31st Oct ’10

Wealdstone booked their place in the 3rd qualifying round of the FA Trophy with victory over Kingstonian in a thrilling encounter. Following on from the 2-1 victory over Kingstonian in the league on Monday night, Stones again put in an impressive attacking performance and fully deserved their win.

The victory sees them extend their unbeaten run to 5 games, and at last it seems they are realising their potential after a stuttering start to the campaign. With their new found confidence it took them just 40 seconds to open the scoring at Kingsmeadow, when Peter Dean struck a superb volley into the bottom corner following a Kieron Forbes cross to give Stones a dream start.

The explosive opening set the tone for the rest of the afternoon, and the home side were level four minutes later. Chris O’Leary brought down Dean Lodge on the edge of the box; with Matt Gray firing the resultant free kick past Jonathan North with the help of a deflection from the Wealdstone wall.

The sides were level for just two minutes though, when Alex Dyer threaded a neat pass through to Greg Ngoyi who finished with aplomb to restore the lead. After the fast paced start, the momentum was slowed somewhat when Jonathan North had to receive treatment following a robust challenge from Bashiru Allimi, which the referee deemed worthy of a booking, much to the annoyance of the away following who felt he should have received a harsher punishment.

Kingstonian managed to claw themselves level again on 21 minutes when Darren Locke tripped Bobby Traynor in the box. The former Brentford man dusted himself off to fire the resultant spot kick past Jonathan North.

Wealdstone didn’t let their heads drop though, and went ahead for the third time five minutes later. Peter Dean’s near post corner was met by Darren Locke’s header which was well saved by Rob Tolfrey in the Kingstonian goal. The K’s defence could not clear the properly though, and in the scramble that ensued, Greg Ngoyi smashed the ball home for his second of the afternoon to give Stone’s a 3-2 lead.

The game showed no signs of slowing down, and Kingstonian pulled level yet again on 37 minutes when poor defending allowed Bobby Traynor to head in at the far post following a cleverly worked corner.

Stones ‘keeper North had been struggling with an injury since the challenge from Allimi earlier in the game, and he had to be withdrawn straight after the K’s equaliser, with substitute goalkeeper Sean Thomas replacing the 19 year old between the sticks.

Thomas had only been on the field for two minutes when K’s nearly took the lead, with Sam Clayton seeing his effort hit the post following a miskick from Chappell.

In the remaining five minutes of the half, both teams had the chance to take the lead, with Peter Dean having an effort well saved at one end, before Tobi Jinadu headed just over at the other, however the sides went in level at the break after what had been a breathtaking 45 minutes of football.

Gordon Bartlett was forced to make a change at half time, with Wes Parker coming off due to a groin injury and being replaced by Louis Lavers.

Things got even worse five minutes later when Darren Locke also had to be withdrawn due to an ankle injury, and being replaced by Sean Cronin, meaning that Stones had now used all three substitutes.

Despite the injuries Wealdstone continued to attack in the way they had in the first half, and once again took the lead on 54 minutes. The tireless Peter Dean intercepted an under hit back pass, before rounding Tolfrey and squaring the ball to Greg Ngoyi who tapped the ball in on the line to seal his hatrick.

Stones now found themselves on the back foot as they defended their slender advantage, and Allimi perhaps should have levelled things on 65 minutes, however he headed wide from 6 yards out when unmarked.

They were however able to extend their lead on 70 minutes, when Danny Spendlove burst into the K’s box before finishing smartly off the outside of his right foot.

Spendlove came close to doubling his tally soon after, firing just wide after a jinking run.

The lively Bobby Traynor had a couple of chances late on to set up a grandstand finish, however Stones were able to see the remaining minutes out to claim an impressive victory in what was an enthralling encounter.

It’s back to the league for Wealdstone on Tuesday as they travel to Canvey Island, looking to claim their first away league victory of the season.

Wealdstone: North (Thomas 38), Parker (Lavers 46), Chappell, Locke (Cronin 50), Massey, Dyer, Dean, O’Leary, Ngoyi, Forbes, Spendlove. Subs not used: Brooks, Fitzgerald

Attendance: 428

By Stuart Warren