Wealdstone 4 – 0 Bognor Regis Town

Ryman League Premier Division

4 - 0

BognorBognor Regis Town
KO: 15:00 | Sat 19th Sep ’09

Wealdstone romped to an emphatic second home league win on Saturday but without ever really getting out of second gear for long periods in a match played out in hot and humid conditions. As a result, Stones moved up a tight Ryman Premier table into sixth position and remarkably only a single point off second placed Aveley.

The Rocks management will be honest enough to admit that, on this showing, they will struggle to avoid a second successive relegation slot with a very young and inexperienced team shored up by a few seasoned campaigners as they battle on with a vastly reduced playing budget. But Stones had a job to do and they did it well killing the game off early and could have doubled the score line with a little more control and composure.

Man of the match and newly Pele` inspired Greg Ngoyi rediscovered his goal touch with a finely struck brace of goals, one in each half with James Gray and Ryan Ashe weighing in with the other goals at the beginning and end of the match.

Stones had the best possible of starts when a trade mark long throw from Lee Chappell completely caught out the Rocks defence and James Gray headed past keeper Anthony Ender with 4 minutes on the clock. Rocks struck back with a corner but Stones were not going to let the away side gain the initiative and within minutes the score line was doubled.

Kieron Forbes broke forward with pace up the slope and unleashed a great drive which Ender parried brilliantly. But the loose ball was seized as quick as a flash by a lurking Greg Ngoyi who lashed the ball in for 2-0; this looked like the Ngoyi of ;last season the Stones faithful want to see.

Bognor were shaken by this early blasting and tried hard to steady their ship with old stager Micheal Birmingham working hard to get moves going in the midfield. But too much lost possession by their young players was making matters easy for Stones who are used to far more pressure on the ball.

Stones looked for a third and killer goal and it almost came from Gray who charged in at the far post for a ball that just eluded him and then Ngoyi headed over from a Gray ball into the box. Marvin McCoy was also enjoying the freedom of the flanks and a great 50 yard run deserved better. Chris O’Leary was booked for a foul on Birmingham but this was a match played out in a good spirit.

Wealdstone flagged a little as the half drew to a close as Rocks Sam Tucknott had a decent run down the right wing that was eventually cleared by the ever energetic Alan Massey who had an excellent match. James Gray should have closed the match out on 45 minutes following a great flick from Ngoyi but the chance went begging.
HT 2-0

Bognor’s best chance to claw their back into the match came 2 minutes into the second period but Sean Thomas beat a powerful shot away to safety.

But Stones were soon back on the attack as Jimmy Gray shot wide after Ngoyi had stolen the ball off Ender. Rocks were playing some decent passing football across the park with an occasional quick break but with no real end product or real pressure to worry the home back line.

Stones burst through with some good interchanges orchestrated by Mark E’beyer and on 56 minutes they went further ahead. Greg Ngoyi looked to have possibly strayed offside but with the goal in his sights he drove in to Ender’s left to give the overworked keeper no chance for a clinical finish.

Ross Lafayette came on for James Gray who left the field to strong applause from the 396 crowd soon followed by new signing Chris Ellerbeck who replaced a triumphant Ngoyi.

Within seconds of his debut Ellerbeck almost scored a sensational goal from an Ender miss-kick but his lobbed effort was just wide.

The game was now wide open as Rocks young team tired but still worked to get forward leaving greater gaps to exploit in the midfield. Stones won a corner but Ross Lafayette was just over with his header.

Stones completed the scoring on 85 minutes when Ryan Ashe pounced on a loose ball and found the net with a well drilled shot, after good work from Ellerbeck.

So, for once Stones had the relative luxury of a comfortable home win but will know that they need to up their game for the trip to promoted Waltham Abbey on Tuesday evening (22 September).

Wealdstone: Thomas, McCoy, Chappell, Fitzgerald, Massey, Ashe, Forbes, O’Leary, Gray, Ngoyi, E’Beyer. Subs used: Ellerbeck, Lafayette, During. N/u: Mpi, Woods (GK)

Attendance : 396