Wealdstone 3-0 Heybridge Swifts

Ryman League Premier Division

3 - 0

HeybridgeHeybridge Swifts
KO: 15:00 | Sat 14th Mar ’09

Wealdstone took full control of this match at The Vale on Saturday from virtually start to finish, as bottom of the table Swifts struggled to make any headway. A comfortable performance was capped by three excellent goals from skipper James Gray, Greg Ngoyi and Ryan Ashe, without reply.

With a strong breeze behind them blowing up the slope, Stones imposed themselves immediately from kick off and the lively Greg Ngoyi homed in on goal after two minutes play but the young Swifts keeper, Jamie Bowyer blocked his strike.

But barely three minutes later Stones had taken the lead with a remarkable effort from a James Gray free kick. The Wealdstone skipper had obviously worked out his trajectory and angle of slope, as from fully 55 yards Bowyer was left grasping thin air as the ball arrowed perfectly into his goal. Gray appeared as shocked as the Heybridge custodian.

Shaking off their disappointing midweek Cup defeat Stones were full of running and effective movement as the half progressed, keeping the away side under pressure. Heybridge had a reasonable chance to hit back when their big midfielder Philip Goodwin headed just over, but Stones persistence in attack soon paid dividends.

Greg Ngoyi, who had an excellent first period, stole the ball with a great tackle and raced toward goal, rounded the floundering keeper and from a tight angle calmly blasted the ball high into the net for 2-0 on 16 minutes.

Carl Martin, currently trialling with Aldershot Town, constantly caught the eye with some effective runs from the back creating opportunities in attack. Danny Spendlove then broke free but crossed poorly for the onrushing Ngoyi and Davis Haule.

Haule then had a goal bound effort blocked by a grateful Swifts backline who were looking increasingly fragile. Shots were raining in as both Chris O’Leary, who was having a storming game in the midfield, and Alan Massey was just off target.

Swifts managed sufficient possession to gain a corner but the half ended with more flowing football from the home side and Gray was again just wide with a good effort.

HT 2-0

Stones were decidedly slow out of the traps at the turnaround and some sloppy play allowed Swifts their best spell of the match. Steven Bourne broke free twice early on and with greater composure would have certainly embarrassed the home side.

Stones finally began to settle down and were awarded a free kick on 56 minutes some 25 yards from goal. Ryan Ashe confidently lined up the kick and flighted a beautiful curling shot past the stricken Bowyer.

Marvin McCoy came on for the majestic Carl Martin as the hard working Lee Chappell broke free on the left to shoot narrowly wide of the near post.

The opportunity to bring on more substitutes now presented itself and James Gray made way for Darren Locke and then Ben Clarke exchanged with Ryan Ashe, both to generous applause.

With almost too much time and space all over the park Stones eased off the gas and rarely seriously threatened again, apart from a Massey header that was ruled offside near the end.

This was probably the most comfortable win of the season for Wealdstone but the entire team did what they had to do and the three points gathered will rekindle their confidence and momentum for an entirely tougher match against second-in-the-table Staines Town, away next Saturday.

Wealdstone: Thomas, Martin, Chappell, Gray, Massey, Ashe, Hicks, O’Leary, Haule, Ngoyi, Spendlove. Subs used: Clarke, McCoy, Locke. N/u: Alexander, Jones.

Attn: 384