Horsham 0-2 Wealdstone

Ryman League Premier Division

0 - 2

KO: 19:45 | Wed 19th Nov ’08

Wealdstone’s remarkable winning run in the league continued at Woodside Road on Wednesday evening (19th November) with goals from Marvin Sordell and Davis Haule.

Stones dominance was such that mid table Horsham rarely threatened their opponents’ goal during the second period and were made to regret a number of wasted opportunities during the latter stages of the first half when they had just two chances to cancel out Sordell’s 7th minute opener and there was no way back for the home side when substitute Davis Haule, who arrived late due to traffic problems, headed home for his second goal in two outings, 13 minutes from time.

Sean Thomas returned in goal for the Stones and was faultless throughout, but Manager Gordon Bartlett had to start this match with a hastily re-jigged line up whilst Haule fought his way through traffic. New signing from Ware, midfielder Danny Spendlove, was a surprise substitute.

It was Wealdstone made the early breakthrough when Marvin Sordell followed up his goal against Maidstone United at the weekend by running at the defence and beating Rob Tolfrey at his near post. Horsham nearly produced an instant riposte when a clever flick from Sigere sent Evan Archibald through on goal but his scuffed shot lacked the power to beat Sean Thomas who made a comfortable save. The returning Darren Locke was inches away from converting Lee Chappell’s free-kick before the visitors had the ball in the net again when Sordell’s acrobatic overhead kick rounded off a sweeping move but the striker had strayed fractionally offside and the effort was ruled out.

Horsham then had their brightest period of the game but, after Carey had sliced a 25 yarder horribly off target, the lively Graeme Montgomery collected a throw-in and shot just past the far upright.

Mark Knee’s clumsy challenge on James Gray saw Ryan Ashe’s free-kick fall to Alan Massey but the centre-half, unmarked inside the penalty area, could only flash a volley across the face of the goal and harmlessly behind. The Hornets were beginning to wobble and an under hit backpass from Jacob Mingle brought Tolfrey dashing from his line to hoof clear but his next clearance, under pressure from Sordell, fell invitingly for Montgomery whose first time shot fell wide of the unguarded net.

A dynamic Kieron Forbes played Ashe in on goal but Tolfrey spread himself well to block the shot. Horsham were unable to get close enough to their opponents’ goal, thanks to the hard working Wealdstone midfield. An equaliser looked on the cards, though, when Charman beat Carl Martin with a low cross that was dummied by Mingle but the stretching Sigere was just short of connecting with the ball.

Horsham almost paid the price for pushing too many players forward in search of the equaliser when a quick breakaway by Lee Chappell resulted in Forbes bearing down on goal but the midfielder dallied on his shot, allowing his shot to be cleared away from danger.

Wealdstone made a change at the start of the second half with Davis Haule replacing the injured James Gray and the recent loan signing from Staines Town was soon in the thick of things as one of several Stones players who caused confusion in the Hornets’ penalty area following a long throw from Chappell.

Montgomery was a willing outlet for the Stones on the left hand side and another incisive attack saw his cross fall for Forbes who struck a rising volley well over the crossbar from the edge of the box. Tolfrey was tested, soon after, when Montgomery was allowed to run unchecked before stinging the ‘keeper’s palm with a firm drive that the travelling fans felt was destined for the back of the net.

Stones were now enjoying sustained pressure and another left sided attack saw Montgomery link up well with Forbes to create a chance for Sordell that was well held by Tolfrey, low at his near post. But Hornet’s Sigere came close to forcing home the equaliser when Knee’s cross wasn’t dealt with by the Wealdstone defence and his quick turn and shot was blocked by the boot of Locke, just yards from the line.

Moments later, it was 2-0. The fast improving Sordell turned on the halfway line and went on a run down the right flank before sending in a great cross that was nodded home at the near post by Davis Haule for his second goal in as many games. Gordon Bartlett then replaced Sordell with the fleet footed Ben Clarke.

Another very solid and professional performance from the Stones making it five league wins on the spin and great preparation for the clash with top of the table Dover on Saturday (22 November) at The Vale.

Wealdstone: Thomas, Martin, Chappell, Gray, Massey, Ashe, Forbes, O’Leary, Locke, Sordell, Montgomery. Subs used: Haule, Clarke, Spendlove. Other subs: McCoy, Woods